Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Strange, Snowy Week

Well, now this post has been a bit later than I'd have liked it to be, although it's better to be late than to...well, you know how that one goes!

The very thing that's defined the past week or so for all of us around here has been the snow. Not a big deal for those who live up in the colder regions of the world, but for us Pittsburghers, it's getting to be a little much.

The greatest thing about it all are the closures though! Penn State Greater Allegheny's been closed for the entirety of last week, leaving me to do little more than play on my newly-returned PlayStation 3, and shovel snow. I wouldn't have it any other way!

I'm always hopeful, along with most of us who have to do the daily grind of schoolwork and class attendance, that a snow day can give a little reprieve. It's a wonderful, almost magical feeling to wake up, look at the Closures ticker at the bottom of the news station, and see your school turn up there with a big ol' CLOSED scrolling across the screen.

It really lights up the kid in me, and reminds me of the joy I felt when I was a little guy, eagerly staring out at the street and making all my little predictions for the future. "Ohh, look at that! The street's covered! There's no way we'll have school tomorrow!" Gotta love it!

We'll see what else happens with the weather, and with everything else, in the coming days....although it looks like the city may yet be buried in the white stuff again, I know I won't be one of the groaners complaining of the cold and confessing to be ready for Spring.

I'm just happy, with a huge grin on my face, watching the icicles grow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad SOMEONE is happy. Our campus only closed one day. The rest of the time was slipping, sliding, and shoveling.

    Dr C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, someone's gotta be grinning through all this! Although yes, the shoveling was a nightmare...but hey, it gave us all a GREAT excuse to huddle around a nice, steaming mug of hot chocolate. Well, one mug per person...not that we'd ALL huddle around the same mug. That's just...weird.

    ReplyDelete