Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Shift in Direction

And so, it's been brought to my attention that this blog doesn't exactly have much focus, which I can wholeheartedly agree on. The past several weeks have been a kind of "getting my feet wet" period, in which I've felt around for topics that I might feel are worthy of coverage.

That's why, from now on, this blog will be dedicated to a topic very close to my heart that (regrettably) I feel is sorely misunderstood by a huge majority of people; the video game, and its importance as art, as social commentary, as metaphor, and even as an expression of what it means to be human.

I have long held a belief that the games I play are more than simple toys, and can genuinely be as much a piece of artwork as a film like Merian C. Cooper's "King Kong", or a sculpture as complex and moving as anything Michelangelo has ever come up with. I say that not out of a sense of blind superiority, but out of respect. I say it with pride that this fledgling form of art that I grew up with can really be more than what it had ever set out to be, and that is what is what this blog from hence forth will attempt to shed a little light on.

Each week, I will focus on a different video game, and hopefully each week I will help even one other person to change the way they think about the interactive media available to them today.

It'll be a challenge, but hopefully it will make for a very compelling read!

1 comment:

  1. Before I set out to do this, I have to make a side-note in the comments. I realize that our book emphasizes simplicity over anything complex, but I have come to the conclusion that I feel I'd be doing my topic a disservice if I were to keep it simple and boil everything down to a few bullet pointed notes. I realize I could choose another topic, but I also think that choosing a topic I feel passionate about is the best course of action.

    This shift in direction also makes me think of several different blogs I've read in several different places, some of which had posts that could be better suited as articles in scientific journals; and yet I loved reading them, because they were fascinating. Hopefully that will be the case with this blog too!

    ReplyDelete