Sunday, February 7, 2010

Blizzard of 2010


I just love being able to call it that, you know? "The Blizzard of 2010". That's exactly what it is, and something I've been wanting to say since the big Nor'Easter hit us back in 1993 in what was then called "Storm of the Century". I've got fond memories of that time, back when school was closed for a week and a half, the snow was deep enough to create snow igloos in the middle of the street, and the snowball fights were endless. Good times, good times...

Well, I've matured a lot since then, and while I still love the snow, I *do not* enjoy shoveling it...which is exactly what I've spent the weekend doing.

I stuck a yardstick into the snow right out on my front porch, and in just one night, we had gotten 25 inches of the white stuff. Sure, it isn't as bad as places like Washington DC, but it's a mess for sure. Shoveling the driveway with naught but shovels, for many including myself, was a backbreaking endeavor that didn't get any more fun the more I did it.

What WAS fun, however, was the photography...and I'm nothing if not a glutton for a well-composed photograph. Snow is a miraculously amazing thing for a photographer; it almost makes it TOO easy to get an amazing shot. The way light glints off the ice crystals, the way the snow blends into a smooth, glossy froth untouched by human feet, the way it collects in narrow pilings atop each branch..

Beautiful stuff.

That's why for this week, I leave a small collection of photographs my brother and I had taken with a Sony Cybershot, 8 MP's, I believe.

Funny thing is, though I love photography, I've gotta admit that my brother is becoming a much better photographer than I am. I love the kid's composition, the way he captures the tricycle or the snowy, empty roads, or the crystals collecting atop a pine cone. He's great at this stuff.

Oh yes, and as a bonus...One of these pictures was taken with my cell phone. Can you guess which? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment